Recent Buys

It has been an interesting weekend to say the least!  Dallas had a quick but powerful storm Thursday night.  Gusts of 100 miles per hour!  I ended up loosing power and didn’t have any until late Sunday night.  As strange as it may sound, I had a pretty good weekend without it.  I spent lots of time outdoors, used a lantern, hung out with some friends, climbed a tree and cleaned up plenty of debris.  The wind even did me a favor and blew down a rotten portion of fence that I had been meaning to tear down and replace.   A few caveats though, it was a very cool weekend and I had hot water.  If it had been a month ago and this had happened, I may have been singing a different tune.

Purchases

Company Shares Income!
CVX 10 42.80
K .8169 1.60
MAT 1.5822 2.40
XOM 12 33.12

This adds a total of 79.92 to my yearly income.  Which brings me to about 4,435.  Well below my goal of 5k, but the year is not over yet.

Buying some oil stocks

Oil has had a rough quarter.  The price of oil has fallen steadily over the last quarter, most of my oil companies hit a high around that time and then are steadily falling.  I took the opportunity to add to both XOM and CVX.  I had wanted to add to XOM recently and I took advantage of the price weakness of CVX to add another bite to my overall portfolio.  CVX is one of my larger positions so I may wait a while before I add to it again, unless of course Mr. Market provides me with another shot.

Mr. Market starts to deflate a bit

I am happy to see the market slowly down and even falling a bit.  I have a few other positions I want to add additional funds to.  They include:

• PG
  • UL
  • COP
  • BAX
  • JNJ
  • AFL

A pretty solid basket right there.  I am looking to add to those(some) positions in probably the next month.  I may get a little more aggressive with some backup funds depending on what happens over the next few months.  There is no time like the present, so I plan on spending some time over the next few weeks looking over my positions and ones I do not currently own.  A few I do not own that are on my radar are:

• ADP
  • GPC

I am looking to add a little higher growth to the portfolio in the 2.5 to 3.5% yield range.  My YoY increase is a little lower than I would like, so I will probably be looking for positions that are growing dividends at the 8+% range.

Happy buying!

What are you considering buying?

Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Recent Buys

1. DivHut says:

Thanks for sharing your recent buys. No question all commodities are getting rocked which is creating some great buying opportunities in the energy sector. I see you added MAT too which seems to be popular these days among the dividend bloggers as falling share price is creating a high yield. I mentioned GPC in an article not long ago http://divhut.com/2014/08/drive-way-towards-dividends/ It’s a great long term dividend stock for sure. Look forward to your next update.
    DivHut recently posted…Dividends Delivered In Thirty Minutes Or LessMy Profile

• ILG says:

Thanks for stopping by! I have been slowly adding to MAT in my Loyal3 account for a while. I want to get it up to about 1%. They have plenty of intellectual property to get out of the current funk (loosing Frozen to HAS sucks, but thats not til 2016). I like them at this price and hope to keep adding shares while they are trading low.

Thanks for the GPC pointer! I will check it out

Take care!

2. ILG,

Nice grabs with the supermajors there. Gotta love the long-term prospects for both Chevron and Exxon Mobil.

I also noticed UL dropped quite a bit lately. That stock has long been on my watch list, but I just haven’t been able to strike. Hope to change that at some point.

Best wishes!
    Dividend Mantra recently posted…Recent BuyMy Profile

• ILG says:

Thanks DM. I am doing my best to take advantage of the current market weakness and just placed another order for a drop of UL.

Slowly but surely!

Take care!

3. Allan says:

Hi invest like grampa,

Solid buys here. I own Mattel too but decided not to add this time. I see that a lot of dividend growth investors decided to jump in at 30-32$. I almost did but decided to put my limited funds elsewhere.

If you want a list of dividend growers that have increased their dividend at a rate above 8% for the last year, 3 years, 5 years and 10 years here it is :

I’d like to add higher growth to my portfolio too until the end of 2014. We’ll see! So many stocks, so little capital.

Thanks
    Allan recently posted…Recent Buy : Liquor Store with an 8% yield and monthly dividends!My Profile

• ILG says:

Thanks for stopping by Allan! MAT is a slow drip for me in my Loyal3 account. I will be buying it till it hits about 1% or the other positions in that account become more attractive.

Thanks for the list! I want to try to average 8% dividend growth and will be probably around 6.5 this year.

Yeah, so little capital here… would have to enter a period of dropping prices and not be able to take full advantage of it!

Thanks for stopping by!

4. Nice picks, ILG. I would love to buy more GE and CVX at these levels. Very attractive.

Best wishes
    Roadmap2Retire recently posted…Quarterly Update – Q3 2014My Profile

• ILG says:

Thanks! I am starting to wonder if we are about to hit a period of very attractive levels for a large quantity of stocks! Hoping rather =)

Well see!

Take care!

5. Ah the struggle of so many options and too little capital! I know I have several companies I’d like to initiate or add to this month, but am hoping the capital comes through to make some of it happen. Keep up the good work and building that portfolio!
    writing2reality recently posted…Passive Income and Pageviews – September 2014 UpdateMy Profile

• ILG says:

I know! Things might be starting to get interesting, so it will only amplify the absence of funds!

Time to start saving even more!

Take care!

6. Pingback: Dividend Growth Estimates Timeline - Invest Like Grampa

7. Awesome group of companies you bought, along with the ones on the watch list. I added to my XOM and COP, albeit small, this past week. I really like the current prices as oil and energy has been hit hard. Here’s hoping for an extended dip!!

• ILG says:

Thanks for stopping by Special Agent!

I appear to have jumped to gun slightly on purchases as both CVX and XOM dropped more, but there is no time like the present! I am planning on adding to COP and probably KMI, but the market jumped the wrong way at the end of last week 😉

Hoping for an extended dip myself!

Take care!