August Portfolio Updates – It’s been a while!

Howdy internet!

It has been a while since I posted, I have been busy with work and other life activities.  It has been a not to bad summer and so I like to get out and about while I can.  The fact that I work on a computer all day makes it difficult to get continue when I get home.  I will do my best to recap the last few months.

Sales

Well, I ended up making a sale over the last few months.  I sold LO shortly after the merger/buyout from Reynolds was announced.  I wasn’t that interested in holding onto to Reynolds and fortunately an opportunistic event occurred.  The event that finally pushed my decision to sell over the edge was WAG taking a 15% dive after they decided against moving their tax location.  I didn’t realize other “investors” had put that much value in the possibility of that taking place.  I took the opportunity to buy some more with some of the cash from selling LO (the remainder plus some additional funds were used to buy more ATT and VOD).

At the end of the day I walked away from LO with about 40% profit + dividends.  I can’t complain and I got to add the funds to several positions I have wanted to increase.  On the bonus side, this was in my Roth account so I don’t have any costs but the trading fee.

Purchases

I have continued to make purchases even though some prices are higher than I would like them to be!  In addition to WAG, T, and VOD. I have added some funds to AFL and GE.  I want to continue building my current positions since I know these companies the best and there are a handful that I don’t think are overly expensive and maybe even slightly undervalued.

In my Loyal3 account, I have been making $50-100 worth of purchases every week.   I have been splitting these funds mostly between MCD, KO, MAT and UL.  Although, I am sure I have added a few dollars to some of the other positions.

Going forward

I am planning on trying to keep things up to date and write a post or two every month that is not purchase/sell related.  I probably won’t recap my Loyal3 purchases weekly, since buying .25 shares at a time isn’t that exciting and the rational behind adding a small amount of money to MCD or KO won’t change frequently.

Conclusion

The last time I posted I was expecting to earn $4021.37 over the next twelve months.  As of September 1st, I am expecting to receive $4209.23.  A modest increase and I do not think I will be hitting the 5k goal over the year, but I feel like I can easily hit 4.5k.  There are some raises that I think will be a reasonable size coming down the pipe (MSFT, MCD and PM).

Finally, halfway through August I earned as much in dividends as I did in 2013.  This is great!  That is progress that is easy to see and tangible.  I have yet to regret my decision to change my investing style.

Disclaimer: Long T, KO, MCD, WAG, VOD

Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to August Portfolio Updates – It’s been a while!

1. DivHut says:

Happy to have you back ion the fold. Well over $4k for the year in dividends is awesome. Like you I have been adding to my AFL, GE and MCD the past few months. UL is also on my radar but after I get a little heavier in the financial sector of my portfolio. Thanks for sharing.

• ILG says:

Hi DivHut!

Thanks for stopping by. I like all of those companies, I have started to look a little more into weights of various sectors in my portfolio as well. I know I am a little under weight in Financials, but I plan on continueing to build some positions until I have more time to properly research (in addition to staying informed!).

In fact, I am thinking about allowing the number of companies in my portfolio to shrink to 35-40.

Take care!

2. Happy to have you back ILG! Good to see you’ve continued your activity. In hindsight, I should have pulled the trigger on my LO shares prior to the merger being announced. I thought about dumping them since I too am not interested in Reynolds. At this point, I haven’t yet sold them, but will likely set a stop loss and if that isn’t triggered, manually sell the position.

Good to see the Loyal3 portfolio still growing. I am happy with how mine has grown and am looking forward to seeing how it builds on itself given a bit of “critical mass” over the next year or two.

• ILG says:

I missed out on the pre-announcement sale as well. I think it was down 10% or so when I sold it. I didn’t feel like waiting til the merger went through and WAG presented an opening for additional funds.

I am liking Loyal3. It is very easy and adding a few dollars every week makes me feel like I am going towards my goal, then having to wait until enough funds are accumulated to keep the fee low. Hopefully, the business model works!

3. Brent @ AAI says:

“halfway through August I earned as much in dividends as I did in 2013.” That’s awesome. It’s great motivation for you I’m sure to keep going down the DG path. Keep up the good work!

4. Congrats on crossing your 2013 threshold. I crossed mine in mid-August as well. Hoping that I will be able to meet my passive income goal for the year….im already thinking about next years goals 🙂

Best wishes
    R2R

• ILG says:

Thanks! It is great to have an easily measurable yardstick. Congrats on beating your 2013 value as well!

My 2015 goals are up in flux with regards to income/12 month target. I have been trying to decide if I want to deploy additional funds or keep it in cash for right now.

Take care!

5. ILG,

Glad to see you writing again! 🙂

Looks like you’ve made some really great moves here lately. I also sold some of my LO position, though the timing could have been slightly better. I’m still holding 50 shares as the value of the deal exceeds where LO shares are at right now.

Congrats on the success thus far. You might not hit your $5k goal, but you’re going to be really close. And you’ll be setting yourself up for a really great 2015.

Onward and upward!

Best regards.

• ILG says:

Thanks! I hadn’t really decided what to do with my LO shares (and could have just held til the RAI deal closed), but WAG (a desired longterm holding) presented an opportunity and I needed some funds. So it worked out reasonably for me.

Thanks! I am hoping 2015 will continue to be another goo dividend year! Smaller year over year increases, but still upward.

Take care!